Thursday, December 10, 2015

Thankful Thursday ~ Thankful for Brokenness


I am thankful for brokenness. It is in the place of being at the end of my rope, the end of myself, that I truly can turn everything over to the Lord. I don't mean just cry, vent, get it all out and then I feel better. It's more than that. 

Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth articulated it best when she said, "Brokenness is not a feeling; rather, it is a choice, an act of the will. It is not primarily a one-time experience or crisis (though there may be crisis points in the process of brokenness); rather, it is an ongoing, continual lifestyle. 

"Brokenness is a lifestyle of agreeing with God about the true condition of our heart and life, as He sees it. It is a lifestyle of unconditional, absolute surrender of our will to the will of God - a heart attitude that says, 'Yes, Lord!' to whatever God says. Brokenness means the shattering of our self-will, so that the life and Spirit of the Lord Jesus may be released through us. It is our response of humility and obedience to the conviction of the Word and the Spirit of God."

What better place to be but to see God for who He truly is and my desperate need for Him? That's when brokenness comes. That's when surrender comes. And then comes the blessing of healing for my soul. 

Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord? And who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart. Who has not lifted up his soul to falsehood and has not sworn deceitfully. He shall receive a blessing from the Lord and righteousness from the God of his salvation.  ~Psalm 24:3-5



Linking up with Fellowship Fridays

2 comments:

  1. This really hits me right where I am right now after losing my father and dealing with family-of-origin relationship shrapnel. Thank you so much! Blessings from #EspressosOfFaith via #ChristianMommyBlogger!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave them here!