Friday, December 18, 2015
Happy Birthday Jesus Cake
We had a Happy Birthday Jesus Christmas party with our homeschool group this past Monday. The cake was the focal point of the party and the kids got to help decorate it.
1. The shape of the cake is round to represent the world into which Jesus was born.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. ~John 3:16
2. Each of the 3 layers is a different color:
a. The bottom layer represents the fact that all our hearts are muddy, dirty and dark with sin. This is the reason Jesus came to earth.
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. ~Romans 3:23
b. The center layer is red symbolizing Jesus' blood that was shed for our sins.
In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace. ~Ephesians 1:7
c. The top layer is green denoting the new life we have in Christ after our sins have been washed away.
He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. ~1 John 5:12
Jesus said to them, I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst. ~John 6:35
3. The frosting is pure white signifying the righteousness and purity of Christ.
He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. ~2 Corinthians 5:21
4. A border of red hearts symbolizes brothers and sisters united in Christ circling the earth as His witnesses.
And He said to them, Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; who he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. ~Mark 16:15-16
5. On top the cake is a gold, or yellow, star representing the star heralding His birth and lighting the way for all mankind, since the grace of God includes all, not only the Jewish people who prophesied Messiah as our Savior.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. ~Galatians 3:28
6. In the center on top is one large red candle representing Jesus who came into the dark world to bring it light and truth.
Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life. ~John 8:12
We didn't have a large red candle available, so we just used regular red birthday candle. We also put a candle in each heart.
After we completed a craft, played a Christmas bingo game, ate some pizza and read a story, we got to enjoy a piece of that cake. It was so good! (Of course, homemade buttercream frosting is the BEST ever!)
Source: Dukes and Duchesses
Linking up with Fellowship Fridays