Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Homeschool Mother's Journal ~ August 31, 2016

IN MY LIFE
I don't even know where to begin or what to say. I am finding myself in a big struggle, in a deep valley. I don't understand why I am struggling so badly because I know Who is King of kings. I know Who is in control.

I will learn from this and I will trust in Jesus the Christ, the Son of God, the Savior of the world, Redeemer and Lord. 

IN OUR HOMESCHOOL
This is our 4th week of school (16 days), easing ourselves back into the school routine. We started with review in language arts and math, having added handwriting, spelling and history. Adelle keeps asking when we're going to start science. The plan is to begin that next week.

I've also signed the kids up for a bi-weekly co-op that begins on Tuesday. They will be in a class called World Travel for the first hour and then go to PE for the second hour, after a fifteen minute snack break in between.

CHANGES THIS YEAR
Last year, I had a couple of extra children in our homeschool routine. I am very glad to report that Mr. K5 went on to first grade in public school and is doing very well. The Tiny Tot I had off and on last year is in head start and also doing well. I was also co-leading our small homeschool group last year, but am not this year. Most of that is because of the extracurricular activities Sugar Bear and Little Man are involved in this year.

Adelle is in Grace Notes Girl Choir again this year (formally known as Cantabile Girls Choir) as well as American Heritage Girls, in which she has moved up to the Explorers level. Both of those are on Monday evenings. Choir is every Monday and AHG is every other Monday, right after choir. Adelle is still taking piano lessons but with a new teacher. She is adjusting well and seems to be more motivated to practice.

Jonathan has dropped piano (via Mama's doing), but he still plays around on it. He has joined Mississippi Boychoir though, which meets on Tuesday evenings for rehearsal. He was so excited after his first practice that he ran to me, giving me a big hug and saying "Yes! Yes! Yes!" I believe this will be a goof fit. This is an opportunity for him to grow, not only in music, but also in character. He will learn how to be respectful, responsible and how to work with others outside of the dynamics of our home.

Um, I don't see where the concern of homeschool kids being "unsocialized" comes from.  *SHRUG*

WHAT'S WORKING/NOT WORKING
What's working is having a lesson plan set. I guess I knew this before, but this is the first year I've had to make my own lesson plans. I don't think I have quite enough hands-on activities, but I have the basics. As long as I have that, I can wing activities... I think. Having at least a plan always works for us. 

What's not working is not having get-the-chores-done plan. Over the summer I tried to have a chore/work chart check list thing and it just didn't work out. Right now I don't have anything and I'm having to assess the cleaning situation every day and just verbally give instructions. I really do think that having a plan in place and a visual for the kids will help us to keep the house running smoothly without getting so far behind. I am still trying to figure this part out, even in our 5th year of homeschooling. (Maybe I need to train myself??)

GOALS
I would like for the kids to memorize the books of the Bible so they can turn to the passages more quickly, especially while listening to sermons. So far they know Genesis to Esther.

We have also set the goal to read through the 4 gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) this school year. I have a cute little check list of how much to read each day. We'll read the short passage in our morning devotion time and have a little discussion about it.  We finished up Matthew chapter 5 yesterday and will begin chapter 6 tomorrow.

A QUOTE/PHOTO/VIDEO TO SHARE
Ok. I just recently logged back onto FB... not sure that was a smart thing to do, but my sister posted this there for my brother and myself. I busted out laughing... and I laugh every single time I see it.


I don't know much about the movie these little minion guys are from, but they always make me laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave them here!