Thursday, August 18, 2016

Thankful Thursday ~ Thankful that He Keeps Me


Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. ~Hebrews 12:1-2

I am thankful that the Lord's mercies are new every morning. He is faithful. Even in my unfaithfulness to Him, He has kept me. I am so thankful that He hasn't handed me over to my own evil desires. My heart has not been hardened. My love has not turned wax cold. 

I'm not talking about some secret sin that has been lurking in the shadows of my heart.

No.

I'm speaking of the everyday struggles; the vices of the world that are constantly grabbing at us, trying to entice us, trying to divert our attention and focus away from Christ. 

It's the extra 10 minutes daily spent on anything else other than the Lord. 

Seriously. ANYTHING at all; 

that last bit of dishes to wash; the google search for whatever project is at hand; the next chapter of a good book; the snooze button on the alarm clock; checking email or FB just one more time; last minute lesson preparations for the next day, etc....

I'm talking about being quick to anger; having a bad attitude first thing in the morning; being  impatient with the children; pointing out others sin before looking at my own; thinking of only self, etc....

When did sleep become my obsession? When did having that bowl of ice cream become my addiction? When did yelling become my manner of parenting? 

It's those small hinderances that so easily entangles us.

So.

Easily. 

I am thankful that I still hear and feel the Holy Spirit's conviction. There is no hiding from God Almighty. He knows and sees all, even the deepest secrets of man's heart. But His help is near. He is faithful. He is merciful. 

The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office, but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.   ~Hebrews 7:23-24

The Lord is keeping me and it's not because of any merit on my part. 

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, no the result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. ~Ephesians 2:8-10


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave them here!