Saturday, September 5, 2015

The Homeschool Mother's Journal ~ Sept. 5, 2015


IN MY LIFE THIS WEEK
The Lord is always amazing me. He is so gentle and patient. His reproof is so necessary in our training in righteousness. I must welcome it... ALL of it. It is difficult to bear sometimes and my flesh literally cries at the rebukes, but my spirit always testifies with His. He must increase. I must decrease. 

Everything boils down to the 2 greatest commandments: You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength, and You shall love your neighbor as yourself. (Mark 12:30-31) If I haven't loved Almighty God with everything fiber of my being, then I have sinned. If I haven't loved others with the same potency that I am loving myself, then I have sinned.  Any "should I?" questions must be weighed against those 2 greatest commands. 

At the end of the day, the question is, "Which master am I going to serve?" We can't serve two masters.

Yes. I despise my own behavior a lot of the time.  

IN OUR HOMESCHOOL THIS WEEK
Bible - We've been studying that Jesus is the Light and have memorized John 8:12.
History - We are learning American History this year. This week we learned about the Pilgrims. I, myself, didn't know the pilgrims tried to live in Holland before making their way to the New World. I also didn't realize they weren't the first people from across the sea to make America their new home. I guess I didn't retain much from my school days! LOL
Science - We've been learning about the stars, sun, constellations and the universe - in general terms.
Math, Language Arts, Reading - Not very interesting stuff to write about. Adelle's handwriting and reading skills continue to improve. Jonathan is blowing my mind with his reading abilities! He's learning cursive writing and tries very hard to do it correctly.
Music - We have listened to 2 patriotic songs and Jesus is the Light by Carman. Both children have started piano lessons back up. Adelle attends rehearsal for girl choir  on Monday evenings and Jonathan attended a rehearsal for the boy choir. 
Art - The kids continue to make little crafts at the Library Story time each week. We have also made some crafts in Bible to reinforce that Jesus is the Light.

HELPFUL HOMESCHOOL TIPS/ADVICE
#1 - You don't have to follow your curriculum lesson plans to a tee. Use what will best fit your children and schedule. 
#2 - Plan ahead! Just saying. 
These little tips are just reminders to myself.

I'M COOKING
Yeah.... I'm cooking, or we don't eat. That's just how our budget works right now. Sometimes I have to get creative and that is difficult for me. I do not enjoy being in the kitchen, yet I'm in there 75% of the time!

WHAT'S WORKING/NOT WORKING FOR US
I don't think the boy choir is going to work out for us this year. I hate that! I want Little Man to be involved in the boy choir this year so much! That type of instruction and structure will be a good thing for him, but we're just going to have to wait until next year. Not only are we not going to be able to pay for it, but I, as a parent volunteer to the choir, will not be able to make that kind time commitment. There is too much on my plate already. 

I AM THANKFUL FOR
My husband. He fears God. His pursuit of God and His righteousness inspires and challenges me.

I AM WATCHING
I watched Audacity this week. You might find it interesting.

A QUOTE TO SHARE
"By perseverance the snail reached the ark. It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy that makes happiness.  Trials teach us what we are; they dig up the soil and let us see what we are made of." ~Charles Spurgeon

SCRIPTURE OF THE WEEK
This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we life and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.  1 John 1:5-10


Linking up with Fellowship Fridays

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave them here!