Monday, June 15, 2015

The Ocean is God Almighty's Reflection

God's reflection
We were on vacation last week at the beach. So far we've been able to visit the seashore about once a year.  This year my parents, sister and her hubby came for a visit. We were able to rent a beach house and spend 4 days on the Gulf of Mexico coast. 

The vast expanse of the waters never cease to amaze me. Words cannot begin to express the sense of God's awesome presence that envelop my entire being when I spend even just a few mere minutes on the oceanside.

We arrived at the beach house late afternoon last Monday. Everyone, except Dad, walked down to the shore while I stayed behind to prepare dinner. They returned just as the spread was ready. My brother-in-love prayed over our evening meal. He declared that God's creation was beautiful and was a reflection of Him.

The Boston Clan
(minus my brother and his family)
Amen to that!

Nature truly reflects the glory of God. I'd like to take that truth a step further and declare that The Great I Am is far more beautiful than all of His creation. 

After dinner, all of us took a walk down to the beach. I knew how much amazement my mind would experience, so I grabbed my Bible before we headed out the door. I am so glad I thought to do that.

As I sat on the shore I read a few verses from the book of Psalm:

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear; though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah.  Psalm 46:1-3

The Holy Spirit dropped a thought into my mind after I read that passage. The ocean is a true reflection of the Lord indeed. The ocean is very relaxing, peaceful, and breath-taking. Yet, it is also awesome in power, fearsome and even dangerous in its depth. Does that not describe the Lord of hosts?

God's presence is peaceful and calming, but following Him with abandon is a scary thing when we don't know what path lies ahead. However, God is good and He is powerful. He is faithful to give us exactly what we need to take the necessary steps to follow Him. His holiness is fearful, especially when we understand how our wicked hearts rebel before Him, yet His compassion gave us a way to be healed of such vileness through the sacrifice of His own Son on the cross and His resurrection.  

I felt like I was right next to the Lord
every time I sat on the shore.
Oh, yes indeed, the Alpha and Omega is mighty, doing just as He wills, conforming us to the image of His Son.

Oh yes, He is truth and He is faithful. Everything He does is excellent. How can I be so stubborn before Him?

Every time the Lord reveals more of Himself to me, more of my heart's wickedness is displayed. That moment of awe last week uncovered more of my true selfish ways. 

We've looked forward to this vacation for several months. The closer the time came, the more excited we became. As we traveled in the car, we almost burst with excitement to be able to relax on the beach once more.   

If only we would harbor such anticipation to spend time alone with the King of kings every morning, every afternoon and every evening!

If only I would harbor such anticipation to spend time alone with the Alpha and Omega!



Linking up with
Fellowship Fridays


1 comment:

  1. so true cyndi:) i grew up in south FL so the beach was readily available. i remember being so aware of the vastness of the ocean! how it never ended... it was so amazing to me. i'm your neighbor at FF:)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave them here!