Friday, May 22, 2015

The Mother's Homeschool Journal ~ May 22, 2015


In My Life This Week...
God's grace is most certainly sufficient and He's given more than enough to sustain me and to help me overcome some things. I know I don't love Him nearly enough (there's so much more of Him to love and so much more of me to give!) and that has stopped me from pressing on, crucifying my flesh and taking up my cross all my life in the past. 

Just about a month ago, the Holy Spirit started to work in me. I am seeing a change/growth in myself now. By God's grace and the power of the Holy Spirit,  I continue to put myself in the way of truth no matter what my efforts are, no matter what mistakes I've made. It's not about me trying to do good. It's about the Holy Spirit drawing me and my willingness to submit to Him.

My gaze used to be on myself and my efforts for salvation, but my eyes have been opened up to see that the only thing that saves me is faith in Jesus Christ alone. Jesus plus NOTHING. He paid it all and there is absolutely nothing I do to earn that.

Oh, that I could've seen this truth before now!

In Our Homeschool This Week...
We're winding down the formal lessons. We have cut back to one single lesson/subject per day, however we will continue to read and write daily.   

Meal Planning Changes...
A certain disease that has plagued me for quite a many years has become quite a bit worse causing me to change my diet,  or, err, to follow the diet I should've been following all this time, or risk esophageal cancer. Yep. No fried food for me. No hardly anything for me! :-(

The silver lining is making this necessary dietary change may help to lower my heavy weight and elevated cholesterol level.  Making the change is proving to be a difficult thing.

No more tacos?!? ARG!!!  :-(

We're Listening to...
We've been listening to a series of children's catechism sermons preached by Mr. Paul Washer. We are on the 6th and 7th sermon (each sermon averages around 10 minutes in length). We've been exploring the very first question: What is the chief end of man?   Answer: Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. We have moved on to the next question: How can you glorify God? Answer: We bring God glory by loving Him and doing what He commands.

Those are the short answers. Mr. Paul Washer does a very good job going into depth on children's level, giving good examples and scripture to illustrate these truths. All 4 of us have learned (and are learning) a lot from this series. 

I'm Looking Forward To...
A week at the beach in a few weeks. My family is coming for a visit and we've rented a beach house. I can't wait to put my toes on the sand, listen to the ocean and catch some rays.... oh, and visiting with my family. *wink*

Things I'm Working on...
Spring cleaning! We started to deep clean the house this week. It seems like an overwhelming task, but a check off list helps.

So far, we tackled the kitchen: Inside the cabinets and the fridge, wiping down the walls and base boards and everything in between.

Now, to keep up the motivation....

A Scripture Passage to Share...
But God—so rich is He in His mercy! Because of and in order to satisfy the great and wonderful and intense love with which He loved us,
Even when we were dead (slain) by [our own] shortcomings and trespasses, He made us alive together in fellowship and in union with Christ; [He gave us the very life of Christ Himself, the same new life with which He quickened Him, for] it is by grace (His favor and mercy which you did not deserve) that you are saved ([a]delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ’s salvation).
And He raised us up together with Him and made us sit down together [giving us [b]joint seating with Him] in the heavenly sphere [by virtue of our being] in Christ Jesus (the Messiah, the Anointed One).
He did this that He might clearly demonstrate through the ages to come the immeasurable (limitless, surpassing) riches of His free grace (His unmerited favor) in [His] kindness and goodness of heart toward us in Christ Jesus.
For it is by free grace (God’s unmerited favor) that you are saved ([c]delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ’s salvation) through [your] faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not through your own striving], but it is the gift of God;
Not because of works [not the fulfillment of the Law’s demands], lest any man should boast. [It is not the result of what anyone can possibly do, so no one can pride himself in it or take glory to himself.]

Ephesians 2:4-9 Amplified

3 comments:

  1. hi cynthia. i'm your next door neighbor at CMB. i appreciated your reminder that Christianity is a work of GOD alone. it is so easy to think we have to get in there and do some of the work or initiating of agendas for ourselves and our growth. GOD must laugh when we do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! So silly of me, but I have spent my whole life trying to "get in" by my works, or efforts, or good deeds and even by being involved in ministries. I am so glad the Lord is so patient!

      Delete
  2. Hello Cynthia, I am glad that He gives us the grace we need to run in all the areas of our lives.
    Thank God for the areas of refreshing in your life.
    God Bless and enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave them here!