Monday, September 23, 2013

Loving Our New Curriculum

Last school year was a tremendous struggle for us. Our previous curriculum was very rigorous and left us exhausted. By the time April rolled around, the kids were done learning and I was done teaching. We were left unmotivated to carry on with it.  So I decided to look at the other curriculums for this school year. Choosing a curriculum is quite the task! I finally choose My Father's World.  This year is much more relaxed and fun. Wanna know why I am loving My Father's World?

1. MFW is a scripture-centered curriculum. Children memorize God's word and develop a Biblical world view right along with learning phonics, math and science. While academics are important, raising believers in Jesus Christ and following Him is far more important to me. At the end of the day, and our lives, God isn't going to look at our academic achievements. He is looking at our hearts and whether we love Him or not. 

The children also learn character virtues with MFW. I didn't know that when I first bought it and I had bought Character Concepts for this purpose before purchasing MFW.  It's all good though because having both sets of curriculum gives me a great many ideas to cover the character virtues. They have gone together beautifully.

2. MFW applies the Charlotte Mason Method of learning. I absolutely loved the CM methods when I first ran across it a year and a half ago. I need a lesson plan that someone else made to follow. If I don't have a plan, I'm just lost and developing my own lesson plan was stressful and very overwhelming. Learning that MFW was developed around the CM method pretty much sold me. 

3. MFW takes a hands-on approach to learning. The curriculum packs are loaded with engaging manipulatives and activities for exploring all the subjects. Adelle and Jonathan both are having fun learning this way. 
Sorting and Classifying

4. MFW provides curriculum for preschool through high school. MFW begins with a learning unit for toddlers and preschoolers and advances to kindergarten through high school. Everything I will need for each grade level is provided.  One stop shopping. I like that. 


I think it's safe to say that we will probably stick with this curriculum for a long time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave them here!