Thursday, November 29, 2012

Yes, We Are Still Homeschooling

While I have fallen short in keeping up with this blog, I have managed to keep going with our homeschooling. Our routine has gotten a little hairy, but we are trudging on. A couple of months ago, I decided to help my best friend out and started to homeschool her little boy in her home (right along with Adelle and Jonathan). I store our essential supplies, ones we use on a daily basis, at her house and transport supplies we need for special projects. My BFF lives in the next town over. It takes about 25-30 minutes to get to to her house from ours, so the 3 of us are out the door by 7am. This has taken some adjustment... mostly on my part. Of course, not being at my own house, I've had to readjust my cleaning routine (which I'm still working on, esp the laundry). I must admit that I fight exhaustion continually. However, this post isn't about venting all my woes. I wanted to catch up on where we are in our homeschooling. 

PHONICS
Adelle has learned how to read 3-4 letter single-vowel words and is learning what sentences are. Jonathan is sitting in on her lessons so he knows all the letter names and sounds. He even knows the vowels from the consonants! He spaces off when it comes to blending letter sounds.

MATH
Adelle has learned so much in math that I cannot begin to type it all here. She is learning the value of coins. She can count to 100 and recognizes numbers all the way up to 60. She has begun addition lessons and knows how to read o'clock times on the analog clock (1:00, 2:00, etc...).  Jonathan can count to 100 too and recognizes numbers up to 60. He can even tell you what "family" a number belongs in.

WRITING
Adelle has learned how to write almost all lowercase letters (minus about 3) in cursive and even a few single-vowel words. She can write numbers 0-10 as well. Jonathan is still pre-writing, but he was eager to try to trace numbers earlier this week and he did very well staying on the lines. 

BIBLE
They're having way too much fun learning new Bible songs (My God is so Big, Father Abraham, The B-I-B-L-E, etc...).  They have learned about 8 memory verses and they are also learning about different Bible characters. This week we've been talking about the prophet Elijah. 

PIANO
Adelle is learning the piano very fast. She has learned quarter, half and whole notes. She has learned the meanings of forte, piano, treble clef and bass clef. She is learning the note names and how to play alternating left hand to right hand. Her newest lesson is learning the C-scale (for all of you musical people out there). She will learn a couple of Christmas songs over these next couple of weeks too. 


Can you sense my pride in these kids?? Both of them amaze me ALL THE TIME! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave them here!