Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Virtual Homeschool Co-Op #2: Handling Negative Comments

The second assignment in the VHC is to share how we handle negative comments or questions about homeschooling. 

The questions are:

  • Who are the naysayers in your life?
  • What are the comments that you get told or asked?
  • How do you handle all of these comments and questions?

In our 5 or 6 years of homeschooling, I can't say that I have encountered very much negativity towards homeschooling. My family has been pretty supportive as well as my in-laws. If any of those people have any negative thoughts or ideas, they've never expressed them to us. 

I have had various people ask us questions about homeschooling, like, why do we homeschool, how long do we plan to homeschool, how do I teach this or that, etc.... When I have encountered these curiosities, I never detected any animosity towards our decision to homeschool. If anyone was asking questions out of deviousness, I never picked up on it, which may be a good thing b/c I may have handled the inquiries differently. 

I am glad that I haven't had to deal with negativity because I am terribly hard on myself in the first place. When I hear that homeschoolers are generally smarter than the rest, I doubt that my own kids are smarter than anyone, but that's not really my goal anyway. 

I plan to check out what other VHC members have to say on this topic, because I'm sure I will experience negativity as some point. 


Hey, my fellow homeschool friends! Check out the Virtual Homeschool Co-op. I bet you'll find ideas and encouragement.  :-D

2 comments:

  1. Well you are fortunate to not have had the negative Nellies hit yah. It can be draining. TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I am blessed indeed! I started watching your post about this and need to finish it. I look forward to learning how to handle these kinds of situations when they do come about.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave them here!