Thursday, August 4, 2016

An Evening Prayer (from Singing School)

I enjoyed singing school so much that it's really just difficult to put into words what I learned there and how the time spent there impacted me. 

I did chuckle when I saw the cover of the church house's hymnal book. 


Am I the only one who finds amusement in that title? "Old school"  

I dunno. Just something a little funny about that. 

But on to some seriousness. 

Each evening Adelle and I went back to the evening sessions, of course, in time for dinner.  :-)  I must point out they did a superb job with the meals, having enough food as well as helpers. At least if they did have problems, us visitors couldn't tell. 

Those evening times were special and just really added to the lessons we were learning during the day. One thing that was fascinating to me was the fact that the congregation sang the same song in closing every time. 

The song is called An Evening Prayer. 

I cried, almost wept, through the song the very first time I heard it and sang along with the others in the group. Though more tears were shed, I fought them the other 3 nights we sang this song. I mean, it's literally offering up a prayer of repentance, in song, to the Lord, collectively, as a unit. It was just amazing. Again, words of description completely escape me. 
  
Here are the lyrics:

      If I have wounded any soul today
      If I have caused one foot to go astray
      If I have walked in my own willful way
      Dear Lord, forgive!

      If I have uttered idle words in vain
      If I have turned aside from want or pain
      Lest I myself shall suffer through the strain
      Dear Lord, forgive!

      If I have been perverse or hard or cold
      If I have longed for shelter in Thy fold
      When Thou hast given me some fort to hold
      Dear Lord, forgive!

      Forgive the sins I have confessed to Thee
      Forgive the secret sins I do not see
      O guide me, love me and my Keeper be
      In Jesus Name

      Amen


I could only find one decent audio recording of this song and it's sung by a single lady, but it's still beautiful. 




I tear up every time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave them here!